January 07, 2014

Untitled: Part 8



As we walked away, me following her from a safe distance, I saw the bus still standing still. And I was sure, it wasn't going to move anywhere unless somebody provided first-aid to the buffalo.

The weather by this time had become a little cloudy and strong breeze was blowing. She covered her head with her black scarf and walked briskly. Girls are known to be slow walkers, but she was no ordinary girl.

"Excuse me Mam!". I exclaimed.

She stopped and looked behind. Was this another hallucination of mine?

"Ahh.. Hi, Actually I am new to this place. I was in the bus that got into accident there. I guess you were in the same bus as well (!)."

"Ohh.. Yeah. Yes, I was in that bus only". She replied back in her soft, almost inaudible tone.

"Yeah, right. See, I have to reach the last stop. And I don't know how much time the next bus will take. Do you know any alternate route or bus number to reach there? I am sorry I can't pronounce the name of the place".

"Oh, yes I have to reach the same area. You can catch Bus number 113. But you won't get it from here. You will have go straight from here, take left from the third red light, you will reach a crowded market. After crossing it, you have to take right and then another left from corner. From there, the bus stop is hardly a distance of 200 m.", she told me the direction in a single breath.

"Umm.. Ohh.. OK", I struggled to recollect what she told just now.

"Well...", she paused for a brief moment. I knew what she was contemplating.

"Well... if you want...you can come with me. I am going there only. I can't get any autos from here." she said, still not totally sure about the offer she just made.

"Oh, Thanks! Thanks a lot. I will be grateful!". Jackpot!

"Well, my name is Ritender. My friends prefer to call me Rids. I am from Lucknow. Came here for a short time for studies purpose.". I promptly extended my hand.

She passed on a brief smile, and with a little hesitance, shook my hand. Yeah, I WAS NOT DREAMING!!

"Hi... Hi Rids.". She was succinct. She didn't tell her name. Damn it!

"Well I guess you are a resident of this city. You would be knowing all the places around here, isn't it?". I said, trying to spark up a conversation.

"Yeah, I have been born and raised in this city, but I am not much of a traveler. I haven't been to many of the tourist places here." She said with a very calm zen-like expression.

"Really?? You really haven't seen most of these places?" I was actually surprised!

She briefly smiled again and nodded. Her duppata was struggling to get out of her head in the breeze which was getting stronger.

"When I started in the morning it was bright and sunny. But suddenly it has become so cold and cloudy and windy. I hope the weather is not always so unpredictable here."

"Well, it usually is like this only!", her reply was terse again.

"THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU LADY? I AM TRYING TO TALK TO YOU. I WANT TO LISTEN TO YOUR VOICE, WHY CAN'T YOU LET A FEW DAMN WORDS COME OUT OF LITTLE LIPS?", I yelled at her in my loudest of voices. In my head.

"Hey wait, you didn't tell me your name. What shall I call you?", I couldn't wait any longer. I had to find her name now.

"Ohhh... I am sorry. I forgot to introduce myself. My name is..."


No comments:

Post a Comment