November 05, 2019

Goals Vs Life

How times has it happened with you? You don't like something or are stuck. So you decide to make a grand change, or to improve something or to chase a goal. You pump yourself up, make a grand plan and swear to God that THIS time you are going to achieve your goal, or make a permanent change to your life.

And for a few days (or hours) everything goes fine as well, almost exactly as you had envisioned. But then... Life happens. And it always does. That's the only task of life. To happen. For shit to hit the fan. Life's geometry doesn't have straight lines or tangents. It's always made up of tiny (and sometimes huge) sine waves. Ups and Downs. Ebbs and Flow. Crest and Trough.

And that's where the problem arises. You think you will get the same variables everyday, the same cards that you played with on the first day you decided to make the change. But life keeps changing cards everyday (and sometimes doesn't even give you a hand).

That's what separates true achievers from bluffers. "When the going gets tough, the tough gets going" is cliched but true. And while we are talking of cliches : success only tastes sweet after tasting a few bitter pills of failures and setbacks.

I am currently following a schedule of writing at night. So when I sit to write, the emotions are different everyday, depending on how the day went. I haven't written for too many days, but already sometimes I feel clueless about what to write on. And other times while I start, I go blank thinking how to take the blog forward. What good do I have to say anyway?

Of course, writing for the heck of it doesn't make sense either. It's not an essay and I am not getting evaluated and given marks here. I don't want this blog to be another "dear diary" either. Ultimately, the goal is write something of value, if not for you then at least for me.

So, when I hit a road block, I have to remind myself that it won't be gravy always. If the goal is to write daily then I will have to grind sometimes, and not wuss out. It won't always be like this, but good days will come only when I survive these bad days.

The principles remain the same whatever be the goal. It's writing for me, it may be running or dieting or dancing for you. Ultimately it's all about settling in with a process and not allowing the wear and tear of everyday life to hinder your progress. If you want success you have to own the sacrifices too. You can't get one without the other. 

You can't be at your best every day either. Sometimes you have to work at your worst also. And those are the days that define you. If it was that easy everybody would have done it. 

I have written this short blog full of cliches, today. I don't know what tomorrow holds, but for now I can go to sleep knowing I have paid my dues for today. Time for you to pay yours?

PS : Reading and not giving your views ain't cool. 

4 comments:

  1. So well written and so relatable 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment, Unknown person. Much appreciated!

      Delete


  2. "Ultimately it's all about settling in with a process and not allowing the wear and tear of everyday life to hinder your progress. If you want success you have to own the sacrifices too. You can't get one without the other. "

    And


    "You can't be at your best every day either. Sometimes you have to work at your worst also. And those are the days that define you. If it was that easy everybody would have done it."

    Very true, not winning but sometimes just surviving the battle defines us :)
    Surviving & Fighting against all odds, this makes a Fighter, and not everyone can be one!!

    Written well, Ravi !

    ReplyDelete