November 01, 2019

Air Pollution. Suffering. Dear Politicians, are you listening?

Dear PM of India Mr. Modi and CM Of Delhi Mr. Kejriwal. I am sure you would be seeing the kind of condition that us Delhites are going through . I am also quite sure that you are also breathing the same toxic air that we are forced to breath . I am sure you are concerned and even taking some measures to counteract this ‘disaster’. I can see Delhi Govt announcing leaves for school children , stopping construction work for a few days , Odd-Even Scheme getting implemented for 2 weeks etc.

But Dear Sirs , don’t you think all this gives a feeling of déjà vu ? Don’t we go through the same emergency every year  since last 5 years ? Aren’t the same stop-gap measures employed every year ? Don’t the same people give the similar statements every year giving same excuses and indulging in similar blame game? 

Sirs then why aren’t we able to find a better Long term solution by now ? We are supposed to be trying to be a Super power getting into the league of China and US . And we aren’t able to solve our domestic issues even after going through the same motions for 5 years ?

I am not going to get into the politics of it all. That’s for you guys and your brethren to decide . But as a helpless citizen living in Delhi , I demand better air for me and my loved ones. Not all of us have the luxury to leave the city temporarily or permanently . And where do we go when most of the Indian cities are almost as polluted as Delhi?

I worry a lot about the long term repercussions on health due to living in these hazardous conditions . Will we develop lung problems, asthma, cancer, or something else ? I don’t know but I don’t want any of it.

So I urge your Mr. PM and Mr. CM to please keep your personal egos and political tussles aside and get to work together to find a comprehensive plan to tackle this issue. Let there be a strict ban on Diwali if that helps, let’s implement Odd-Even throughout the year if that’s effective, let’s give high subsidies to farmers to avoiding burning their crops, take additional fess from us to finance that subsidy, bring strict measures and heavy fines  for pollution due to construction. Give tasks for CMs of all neighbouring states and stop Central Grant if they don’t cooperate. Let people feel inconvenience if ultimately it saves their lives. Whatever it takes .

Some of these measures may be extreme and definitely unpopular. But let me tell you , if you guys do it together and explain the gravity of the situation to people and ask for their cooperation, then I am sure this will bring you political benefit only .

All it takes is political will and federalism in its true sense. I once again urge you  to consider and take action, if by any chance you get to read my request . This is a grave emergency and we are looking forward to your leadership to bring a permanent respite .

PS: My vote in coming Delhi Assembly election to the party promising better public transportation, better parking infrastructure and a serious long term solution to Air and Water pollution .

No comments:

Post a Comment