November 06, 2019

The Voice of a Writer

I believe every writer has a voice. While a writer by definition puts written words on paper, but when you read them you get a sense of familiarity. I don't know what defines a writer's voice, it may be the tone of the passage (authoritative vs reflective), the length of the sentences (short exclamatory ones vs long sermons) or  the usage of words (simple vs terse) or the topics they choose to write on (philosophy, politics, historical fiction etc.). Or it may be something completely different. But what's true is that an accomplished writer's content will always distinguish her from her peers.

I wonder what I sound like while getting read. Do I really making sense? Are my blogs (and other content) really something to read and relate to, or is just something to skim or may be completely avoid? Do I write from experience thus bringing authenticity, or does it all just sound phony (and probably even narcissistic). Do I really bring value through my blogs or have I made it just a task to complete before sleeping? Of course, I am not a pro (yet), but do I even qualify as a 'serious amateur'? Am I just an imposter? These are some of questions that I struggle with whenever I sit down to write.

And there are no easy answers to this. I can't really just go to my friends and ask them how do I sound as a writer? Well, I can, but it won't serve the purpose, because everyone will speak up from their own life experiences and depending on the dynamics of my relationship with them.

I guess I will find out myself at some point through the sheer process of writing itself. I am not sure if it will ever happen, but I am hopeful. This makes writing itself as a form of self-discovery. Finding your voice, having confidence in it, is akin to truly finding yourself.

And while writing is my weapon of choice, I highly encourage you to think in your life what creative talent is buried inside you. Something that you have always wanted to developed, but either never started or just struggled to carry on for long. Or probably life came in between. May be there was too much friction

Just like a writer, every artist has a voice too (in fact "Writers" are just a subset of  "Artists").  By birth, you are an artist, we all are. No doubt about it. But we don't get to call ourselves that until we create something. Just like I don't get to call myself a writer until I write regularly. 

When I was a kid, I was a fan of WWF (later rechristened as WWE). The Rock was my favorite. Of course his wrestling moves were one of a kind, but more than that, the way he handled the crowed, his dialog delivery, his charisma, his cockiness... his segments were always electrifying. He probably wasn't the most talented or most powerful in terms of pure wrestling talent, but he had a voice. A distinct one, which no one else could match. So, when Dwyane Johnson left WWE to pursue his acting career, I was heartbroken. While I did continue to watch WWE for a few more years, but it was never really the same after he left. 

That's what I call having a voice. The Rock had it, My favorite Authors Seth Godin, Steven Pressfield, Robert Green, Charles Duhigg etc. have it. A lot  of others whom I follow on social media (GaryVee, Tony Robbins, Shekhar Gupta etc.) have it. I wish I develop that voice someday and I wish you develop it in your own creative pursuit. Good Luck. 

6 comments:

  1. You have a voice but sometimes you just state things that are too obvious. Not needed so just lose th from your writing. Go through this blogpost post and tell me what I am talking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I call it "fluff" unnecessary usage of words and repetitive ideas. However, it's difficult to find out from your own writing. I guess, when I get more consistent, I will become a better writer and the fluff will become lesser.

      Delete
  2. Love the way you express your thoughts, am sure many can relate..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Unknown commentator. I just so wish you could state your name as well.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks brother for appreciate my writing or my voice, or something... I don't know what.

      Delete