November 02, 2019

Is Relativity Good for you? Don't think so.

Here is a theory : I think one can understand a person to a large extent just by going through his writings.

I believe I have a bunch of themes on which I like to write about. So, what I am writing about today, I have a feeling that I would have written about it at some point in past. Not sure, but just a hunch.

OK here goes... So, today I was on LinkedIn for sometime, a site which I mostly don't follow. I was going through the profiles of some of my peers and old friends etc. I was amazed looking into the profiles and designations of some of them. That made me jealous to some extent (if you never experienced this feeling, you are lying for sure).

But then I reminded myself of 2 things :

  • First, it's just a designation provided by an organization. My own experience tells me that having a big sounding designation doesn't make the work you do more impactful than others. You may be an analyst but might be making far more impact with your work than another high profile manager somewhere just going through the motions. 
  • And second, how does it matter if you may have a less sexier sounding designation or you may be working with a smaller organization, drawing probably half the salary than the other person? These matrices of designation or organization or income isn't that important. What's important is how much happy you are with the work you do and whether you think what you do matters. And that's irrespective of whether you are an entrepreneur or a worker, or a freelancer, or work at home mom. 

You may be drawing the highest salary amongst your friends, but there would definitely be someone known to you making far more money than you . You might be at the highest relative designation amongst your relatives but a friend's friend might be at a better position than you. And let's not forget, all these designations and roles are just made up jargon to give a rough idea about the nature of your work. It doesn't necessarily have to define you.

Here's what I believe in. You may be having a lesser salary than your friends, but if that's enough for and your life goals than there is no need for competition. You may be at a less attractive position in your organization but if you are satisfied with your work, then it's enough.

Everything need not be judged through the lens of relativity. What's enough for you, should be good enough.

And if you have to compulsively compare, then why not compare how much happy you are as compared to the other person? How much time do you have for your health, your family and your hobbies? How many of your life goals (which mostly won't be same as your peers) you are able to achieve or able to make progress on? How much do you feel "free", and not stuck in your life?

Ultimately it's all about happiness and peace and contentment. If you have that, then someone's LinkedIn profiles don't matter.

PS : Sometimes, you may find me 'preaching' in my blogs. I am aware of it, but remember I write these blogs as a reminder to myself than anybody else. It's a medium to collect and organize my random thoughts. If you get something out of it, then that's just gravy for me. Grateful :)

No comments:

Post a Comment