November 20, 2019

When should you Write? On Inspiration or Daily?

One of the hardest aspect of writing daily blogs is to find a new topic every day. Sometimes you have an urgent or pressing issue/idea to talk about, so it's easy on those days. Sometimes, you have to think about what's bothering you or making you upset, and then share those thoughts. But other days you are just blank thinking what the heck to write today. Today was one of those days. 

A thought of skipping the day immediately comes to mind (especially when there is no one to hold you accountable for ). But then what's the use of making a promise or starting a habit when you can't keep up with it on your hard days? The next thought comes to the mind is should we write for the heck of it or should we write only when we have something worthwhile to talk about? Both ideas seem valid, so I though why not make this the subject of today's post and examine it. 

When we have something to talk about, words flow naturally, either through pen or speech. I try to keep the length of the post close to 500 words, but sometimes I easily cross 700-800 words without realizing it. When there is an itch to scratch, the thoughts are structured in a better way. We feel inspired and probably that shows to the reader too. So, it's a no-brainer to write when you have something worth writing about. 

But for how many days can you bring different ideas to write about on daily basis? It's only possible when you are living a life with a mission or experiencing different emotions, people and culture on daily basis. Not all of us are blessed with such a luck. It's probably easier to explore a single burning idea for days rather than write on a varied topics. If you are an expert, you can write a book on your area of expertise, but again you can't be expert in everything. 

Another option is to write about mundane stuffs (I ate this today, I slept at that time, I felt this and I talked to them etc. ). Kind of like a diary entry. While that's useful for some, but it doesn't appeal me. That was never my intention to start the blog . If you go through the archive of this blog, you will find posts on repeated themes, but I have always tried to do something new. I might have written in detail about a particular experience on a particular day, but you won't find a 'deary diary' kind of post. 

So, it logically follows that we should write only when we feel inspired. But, from my personal experience I can tell it's a dangerous slope to walk on. Because then there is no guarantee when you will feel inspired. And even if you feel like writing about something, not having a writing habit becomes the biggest hurdle in not expressing your thoughts. I am a living, breathing example of this way of thinking. That's the biggest reason of having just 1 post per year on average since past 3 years. 

I have had so many things to write about in these years, but I just kept giving it a miss because I didn't feel confident I had the writing acumen anymore to succinctly put my thoughts in a long form post. Or otherwise, I just procrastinated and took the easy route of watching a movie or Youtube. 

Sure writing daily is a struggle. I can tell you that I am already struggling after 20 days. And I am also acutely aware that not all of my posts of last 3 weeks are worth reading or are useful to multiple readers. But I am also sure that at least few of them would have resonated to different sets of readers. That wouldn't have been possible had I waited to 'feel inspired'. Good ideas only come when you are ready for thinking bad ideas first. If all you want is great ideas to come to your mind, you are left with No idea at all! 

So, in a nutshell, you may even find me writing a 'Dear Diary' kind of post or repeating myself in the coming days, but it's necessary to write something you might want to give your time to read. I am struggling to be a good writer, for me and for you. Bear with me in this journey (or better still, pick your pen and come along!). 

2 comments: