November 09, 2019

The Time to do Anything.

We all have a natural time to do everything. Time to sleep, time to wake up refreshed, time to eat and time to work etc. And while we are taught early to bed and early to rise, that schedule doesn't work best for everyone ( including me ). Everyone's circadian cycle is different. Whether that can be reset permanent is what I am not sure of. But what's definitely sure is that when you do something out of your best time to do it, then you can't put your best efforts in it (redundant statement?).

So, I wonder what's the best time to scratch your creative itch? As you know, I am trying to write daily and have been fairly successful in past 9 days. However, currently I am writing it at almost the fag end of the day. That's when I get some time without the distraction of phones and work. But on the other hand, the mind is tired by then from all BS of the day, so it's difficult to think clearly. Moreover, I take on the self-inflicted pressure of publishing something before the clock turns 12. While it's good to keep myself focused, I am not sure if I am able to put my best thoughts forward this way.

Earlier I used to follow a weekly schedule, trying to write something every weekend. It worked great when I was a on a roll, but other times I would go post-less for weeks and months. The worst writer's block I faced in past 3 years when I wrote only 3 posts in over 1000 days. What matters in any creative pursuit is the consistency. If you are not consistent, it doesn't matter how much talent you have.

I can only sustain something if I push myself to do it daily, whether it's exercise or writing or learning something or making a reading habit. So, while that aspect of my life is clear to me, what I am never able to make my mind is  the best time to do anything. Ideally, getting your personal goals out of the way before you start serving others is the best way to go about it. But when the life takes over your dreams, I invariably tend to push my personal goals towards the end of the day, and then finally sprinting to do them for namesake or just skipping them altogether and getting frustrated.

I guess I am not the only, anyone who pursues something out of the mundane has to struggle with this. Probably this struggle, this resistance, is the inherent part of the creative process and you can't escape from it.

So, well this time instead of preaching, I ask for advice. As I struggle to find the best time to write and how to keep that free, if you do something personally enriching daily, do let me know when and why you do them at a certain time?

I will wait for your comments as I hit 'Publish' and then go and finish my lemon ice tea now.

No comments:

Post a Comment