July 17, 2011

The NO Internet Experiment

AIM
To perform a little experiment to see if I could go without Internet for a day

REQUIREMENTS
Internet, will power, a person with that will power

No Internet
Circuit Diagram

THEORY
You remember the experiments with life that I wrote about last year? Well I thought it would be nice to try some more experimenting with life, but this time without any exam to give me excuses to do the same. Well to tell the truth I always keep trying something or other, so experimentation never stops. But this time I experimented while knowing I was experimenting!

So, what was the big experiment? No Internet for a day! Yeah that may sound ridiculous at first, I mean what can I possibly get by doing something like this? But just think about the number of hours you spend on Internet, compulsively scanning various sites for the new updates; to know what I mean (if you still don't get it, you are gifted! Celebrate!). I mean everyone has to check (and answer) mails, tweet/facebook, read blogs, search stuffs, watch videos, listen to music, share things, chat... That is kind of the day we, the new generation youth, spend nowadays (exceptions are always there).

But, I find it suffocating sometimes. You wake up, you do all the aforementioned things and then you go to sleep. But what did you actually achieve on the day? For most part it's nothing. And that fills me with guilt, I don't want to be wasting my days like this when I can have fun creating or learning stuffs. Well, communicating online, especially with those whom you can't meet regularly is necessary, but that's not the purpose of waking up everyday, is it?

Alright, let's not get more philosophical and come back to the actual experiment. OK, so I would be honest, this idea didn't come from vacuum, it was 'inspired' from one of the writeups of Leo Babauta from Zenhabits.net. But, I had to be the one performing it! Now, I have been without Internet before also, but that was when either I had no time to access it (exam time) or no means to access it (no net connection/net down). This was different, because I was willingly not doing something that has virtually become a habit.

PROCEDURE
  • So, first thing I did was to inform all my friends (worth informing) that I was doing it, a day before. 
  • And then I just let the day come by. 
  • The day came by and the first thing I did in the morning was to open my browser and visit a website! 
  • Well actually, I had to do it because I write online journal I couldn't afford to make an exception. But I just went to the site (750words.com) wrote my page and closed the browser in 15 mins. 
  • I was determined to make through the day without making another exception and I actually did! 
  • I surprised myself by the ease with which I did what I did.


RESULTS/CONCLUSION
  1. I am addicted to Internet, but not to the extent that I can't live without it for a day (or even more).
  2. I still didn't achieve as much as I could have in the absence of Internet. So, Internet is just a means, the real culprit is Me. If I want to make changes in my life, I need to take the responsibility and stop blaming Internet (and other distractions).
  3. Overall the experiment was successful (if we ignore the 15 mins error). Next experiment: No system for a day!

7 comments:

  1. The most innovating thing about this post is the way you wrote it (in lab practical way). #iLike.
    Well IMHO no internet for a day is quite an easy task (Like the initial experiments in a lab are easier than subsequent one), Im saying that because I think I can do it too. I mean I have several stuff to do in my system itself without need of web. So I think 'No system' is going to be a challenging one in my view, though this experiment was perfect as your 'starting point' :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's right! At first I was writing it the same old boring paragraph style but somewhere in the middle I thought of giving them some titles. As I started giving the title, I thought why not write it in a practical lab style (something that we have nailed over the years).

    Yup, I think it did turn out to quite an easy task in the end, while going sans system may not be that easy. Yesterday I got scolded for sticking my bum on the computer chair for the whole day (literally!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see the "No System for a day" or something similar. Not using internet for a day is not something for which you can actually pat your back saying "Well Done". We all had to leave internet aside for even a longer period of time during our exams or maybe because of some problems with our ISP(I had one where i was out of internet for 3 days!!).
    IMO parting with your system would be a challenging task and i am not sure if i can stay without it even for a single day. Try it. And this experiment should be your own choice and not because there was no electricity or any other reason, if you know what i mean ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well even this experiment was also by choice.

    ".... This was different, because I was willingly not doing something that has virtually become a habit."

    But yes you are absolutely right about about no Internet thing, that it turned out to be quite easy (which also I dutifully mentioned).

    Hmm.. so 2 people thing that it is a challenging task (3 including me). Will be really interesting to try that thing out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And thanks again, for commenting on the 2nd consecutive topic. I thought you also would go Sjain's way of commenting once in a blue moon (I know he reads all my posts!).

    I hope you have subscribed to comments by mail this time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So this was the whole story...
    well I have also experience the same but it was for 2 or 3 days..
    well that time...living without Internet was like...
    living with no fun..
    Ravs I hope You know what I know!!!

    well...
    But this is not the scenario presently but itt was in past..
    so thank god...!!!

    well...
    Buddy..
    Today--
    It is 'Internet'
    But
    Tommorrow--
    It could be anything else

    so
    Why shouldn't we change ourselves
    by
    not letting us
    addicted to anything...!!!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you mate, addiction of Any kind if not health. But the thing is that usually we don't get to know that we are getting addicted to something until we actually get addicted.

    And it is really easy to say to get de-addicted, but it takes a lot out of you (not saying it's impossible but somewhere close to it).

    Thanks for commenting! (after dinner ;)

    ReplyDelete