July 02, 2011

HolyShit... Homework!

As I write this I have tonnes of holiday homework of my sister to take care of. And that includes having to search the internet for non-existent research papers, make models that I might have considered for my own major project (no just kidding :) and having to make chart papers; with some notebook work thrown in between for good measures. And I should tell you that I haven't really made any significant progress in 'my' homework yet. Time for frank admission: 
"I HATE Holiday Homeworks". OK, wait, HATE is negative word, so let me rephrase it and say, "I Do NOT like Holiday Homework" or even better "I am Not too fond of Holiday Homework" :).
When I was a kid, I needed assistance in all my homework (no, I wasn't the super coo! prodigy you read about in papers, all the time). So, somebody (usually one of my buas) would always be up my throat (I was a brilliant and adorable child :) trying to get the work done. And I especially hated Holiday HW (when you see pages after pages of instructions for HHW, neatly grouped subject wise, you kind of loose hope then & there). So, every year the pattern was to have fun the whole summer and then break your back doing holiday homework in the last week (something my sister is emulating right now :).

Doing your homework is SEXXAY

When I reached mid school, I knew I had to do at least the written part of homework if I wanted to have any hope of getting descent marks in First terminals. All that learning/cramming stuff was taken care of (I still don't understand why teachers give tonnes of chapters to learn when everybody knows that we do it all at the end time?). And regarding those project works and charts, I either simply left it (to hell with marks) or outsourced them to some of my elder (I was still a child you know :)

By the time I reached high school, the homework was manageable (and I had also learned that most of what I did was waste in the long run). But by now my little brothers were in mid school and they had started getting homework with those stupid little charts to make. Now I just couldn't refuse because:
a) I had got a similar privilege at my time and
b) I risked facing the wrath of the family if I didn't do it.

So, for so many years I had to do the exact same thing for my brothers that I never did for myself. You know making dozens of charts (yes, dozens and I am not being rhetorical here) isn't a walk in the park. And it was a thankless job (I never got any cookies for making those stupidities, may be pat on back sometimes).

Then I reached college and thankfully the vacations didn't accompany formal holiday homeworks here. But, I did spend considerable time making and completing files (and I had to do it, because multiple times I used to be the one on whom dozens life depended).

And today as I stare at the things to be done, on behalf of my sister, all the past (not really happy) memories of homework and back-breaking doing them, comes rushing back.

LOST: Homework
I wanted to take this moment to start a debate on how much are the homeworks (those pesky charts, projects, ‘research’ we did in school and the countess files, assignments and tutorials we were made to do in college) are necessary? I know intentions behind them is always good, but when the homework is simply copied from each other and even after submitting they are either not assessed properly or simply thrown in dustbin (by the way, what happened to your last semester files?).


I don't know if the situation can be made better or if there are any alternatives to traditional homeworks and assignments (because to an extent we as students are also lazy). But what I do know, is that a lot of time what we do is simply wasted, and if nothing else that time could be used to enjoy ourselves. To me, this practice of giving homework also seems to stem from the rote learning model we follow in our education system.

Anyways, now, go shoot your comments down below! If you particularly enjoy doing holiday homework (and I am not talking about any particular subject HHW you did one time), I especially would like to know your views.

8 comments:

  1. At one place in this post, instead of the correct word you used its homophone. Find that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, finding homophone isn't an easy job. Especially since it is a grammatically correct word (so spell checker won't identify it).

    I couldn't find that but I found a mistake in one of the sentences and improved the wordings of 2 others!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never liked holiday homework or homework or anything of that sort. Though my HW used to remain completed usually, I never completed my HHW. Yup, NEVER. In primary school I got scolded sometimes, so I used to copy from here and there after the holidays were over and submit my "Holiday homework copy". After primary school I got admitted in a govt school where nobody gave a damn so I never tried to complete it. It did make sense to me too because, as you said, I just used to copy then whats the point! Also, school people dint use to blackmail like "attendance kaat lenge" and stuff. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I'd like to say something about the blog too.
    When I first saw it I went 'Bhains ki!'
    The blog is looking cool! The color scheme you chose is pleasant and the formatting is very organized. I really liked the name "The Open Source Mind".
    And I felt great when I saw the posts you wrote on buzz are also here! :D nahi to naainssaafi hoti.. ;)
    Gr8 gr8 gr8!
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's right. Doing homework for the day was kind of OK. Because that usually involved copying the shit from rough to fare or doing maths problems which i could do with my radio turned on full volume.

    In fact, I had even mastered the art of learning for the Unit tests every Monday.

    It was usually the problem of Holiday Homework (they didn't spare Winter vacations too :).

    I sometimes envy Govt. schools for their don't care attitude.(But I have heard you get to learn some masst masst gaalis in govt. school :D)

    Schools didn't scare with 'attendance' thing because they used to take attendance only in the morning ;)

    But they had their own ways of punishing (beating, scolding, making you stand outside, standing on playground etc.).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, now I know it was wrong.

    But let us keep it there for the sake of decency!

    I have already edited it multiple times after posting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey thanks for the generous comments. It seems you are the first one to view the blog since it became open and comment here (of course after me!).

    I did spend considerable amount of time over the past few months tweaking the interface of the blog and making it better (at least in my eyes).

    But if any one feels like something can be done better, I am open to suggestions.

    I first thought of using BhainsKi or something for title, but then BhainsKi doesn't look good everywhere, especially since this was going to be serious project (btw it's there towards the end of posts for you tick, if you feel like it on any post :).

    I have spent hours writing posts on Buzz. And the only reason I didn't make them public was because I had doubts if I will be able to sustain my blog (still some doubts, but I am more confident now).

    Now, if others don't get to see and read (and may be enjoy) my hours of work, then 'vo unke or mere, dono ke saath naainsaafi hoti!'

    I have still half of posts remaining to be transferred here (wish I could transfer all those awesome comments and discussions as well). And that is the reason why I am not opening it for everyone right now!

    ReplyDelete