January 26, 2011

My Idol. Take 1

During college, I have been asked this question 2 times "Who is your idol?". Both of the time I wrote/said about Michael Schumacher, the most successful F1 driver in history (at least statistically). But both times I asked myself, is MSC really your idol? And both times, the inner voice answered... NO. But then, who is my Idol?

But first; Who or what is an idol anyway? Googling define: idol gave me these top 3 definitions:
# a material effigy that is worshipped
# someone who is adored blindly and excessively
# paragon: an ideal instance; a perfect embodiment of a concept

Of course here, I am not talking about the first definition though the last 2 definitions are somehow related to the first one. Let's talk about the next 2 definitions one by one.

Someone who is adored blindly and excessively:
• Parents and grandparents who work for our welfare tirelessly and selflessly. But I have seen them making mistakes and they themselves want me not to repeat the same and to be someone much better than them.
• Some of my teachers. I haven't really been close to any of them, but they have influenced my life in a number of ways. So, ideally I would have liked only those teachers to teach me all the subjects. But teaching seems to be too much of a noble job for me to indulge in full time.
• Numerous actresses/women by whose looks/voice I have been smitten by :) But that I believe is more of facial and personality attraction and nothing else. Would you make someone an idol because she has a mole on her forehead?
• A number of musicians and singers (too many to name even a few) who are just incredible in their art. But making someone an idol because he/she is an Indian idol or they are the number one band is a thing I can't do.


An ideal instance; a perfect embodiment of a concept: There are a number of people who seem ideal to me:
• Someone like Aamir Khan who gives preference to quality over quantity and an assurance that an AK movie will be worth spending money. Not really easy to give that kind of assurance.
• Rahul Dravid, whom I used to hate and used to switch off the TV when he came one down. But over the years he proved himself as 'The Wall' in Test Cricket, greatly improved his average and strike rate in one dayers and is now improvising in T20. A person with a copy-book batting technique, something I have tried to emulate unsuccessfully.
• Roger Federer who is just a magician when on song. One handed backhand sometimes looks like witchcraft. Winning points from impossible situations and remaining consistent for so many years, is a superhuman task.
• Andy Roddick, the ultimate underdog, who even being a bit less talented than some of the other players of modern era has given some really hard fought battles to watch. A person who is a treat to watch when he serves.
• Or may be Linus Torvalds, who came up with his own solution when the problem existed in the existing solution. He was just 21 years old when he released the 'first' version of Linux. And he has been the path bearer to the fight against EvilSoft and its 'Exhaust' (if you know what I mean).

Now, all these people look perfect; ideal to be called an idol. But I always had some reservations with the word 'ideal' itself. It makes it sound more like 'impossible'.

Problem
• The real problem is that you call someone an idol when you find your life parallel to their. I haven't found anyone like that yet.
• Also, making someone an idol seems like you just want to become exactly like them. While I really respect the above mentioned people, I really don't want to be another Rahul or Andy or Linus. I want to be RavS, which may sound like a cliche but this is the truth. These people have made their own destiny. While I can learn from their life, I don't really want to retrace their foot steps to reach where they are today (in my own chosen field).

Solution
• Till now I used to think there will be someone who will really be my guru. Someone whom I will look up to in case of difficulties. It seems to me that no one like that exists for me. So, may be it is time to stop my ever continuing quest for the idol.
• So, my Idol is NoOne. Because NoOne is perfect, NoOne is exactly like me or to put differently I am like NoOne.

But it doesn't mean I live my life without inspiration. I get inspired from all the above mentioned people and some more. In fact, as someone said sometime, even "events inspire me".

PS: Now while I may no longer believe in the concept of idol, I know people still have idols and that is not going to change after this blog. So, it will really be great if someone someday calls me her/his idol! Do pal ke liye koi hamein idol keh de, jhoota hi sahi :)

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In retrospect , i visited a friend of my9 , thr was dis wall-hanging cum poster 'Footprints' and something was written ,, no lot many lines were thr :D :D i barely rem , whn my friend left d room in btw :D :D to get eatables (nt specifically :P) i managed to read it ;) [ i dnt knw why i was so hideous abt it :D ] that was d first tym whn it occurred to me 'u need to idolize some1 ' u dnt need it ,basically I wanted to moreover et dat point it sounded cool to me , so began d urge :D.. and it was no fashion freak or actress bt a sports person none other than Greater than d Great wall of damn China , our own desi version of Walls :D 'Mr. oh so loving Rahul Dravid ' (RABBIT or TUK-TUK ), i was in 8th standard n dis guy was d ultimate thing dat happened to me(thrz no kiddn abt it ,he he) . My room was all covered up by his steaming posters :D ;) my mom complained abt it bt all in vain. Letting ur daughter go mad for some personality is much more safer :D . He is my biggest Crush ever :D.
    In ur way i adore him blindly , excessively , immensely , intensely ;) ;) . He is jus mind blowing. Those were d tyms i kind of hated Mr. Tendulkar coz he always took d away glory with him as compared to Dravid , who was less credited and there r so many other tales relating him n me :D bt as i grew up it dis whole thing faded away slowly and RESPECT took its place .

    of all d listed personalities u admire ;) Dravid was a sheer co-incidence , i believe thou he is worth it :D wonder y u switched off ur television .. he plays slow .. bt he has it ol , he has done it and d world is still watching him (hav to defend him ..no matter what ..evn whn its nt required :D insanity ;) any reasons in specific ?

    Aamir is superb, no doubts :)

    Roger is i d news most of d tyms

    worlds full of die-hard talents.

    abt MR. LINUS TORVALDS :D if he was she ;) u wud have married her or at least gone crazy (weird
    imagination ) :D abt her u still are :D :P :P bt tht way it wud have been more spicier hahhaha , i somehow don’t doubt it now :D

    and b4 i put an end to this one SACHIN is legendary ;).

    Frankly I have no idol/s. I jus admire work $ dedication 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Such an extensive comment! I can't be grateful enough for taking time to write all this. And if you can write comments like this, may be you can even start a blog of your own.

    OK, now commenting on what you have commented:

    Well I kind of "hated" Dravid very early in his career (in mid 90s). But my admiration for him has only grown since 1999 world cup (when he was the highest run getter). Actually, I would blame that initially hatred on Sachin & Ganguly! After seeing such breathtaking knocks from them, seeing Dravid and grafting for runs was kind of detoxing.

    And the reason, now he is one of my fav. batsman is because unlike Sachin or Ganguly who are insanely talented and could make runs at will, he works hard for each and every run. He has got unbelievable patience and a rock solid determination. And he has improved in places where he wasn't great naturally (particularly ODIs) which is admirable to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regarding Linus, well I never thought of him that way. But now, when I think of it, I think you are absolutely right. A female linus may just have been god-sent! But, it's OK right now too :)

    And I would like to mention another person from whom I have been really impressed in the past few months. Check out his story here: http://zenhabits.net/my-story/

    ReplyDelete