March 10, 2012

The Death of a Class

Rahul dravid Candid Dressing room 
And so the man retired. It hasn't hit me fully yet, may be it will take time to realize that now, I will never be able to see one of my most cherished cricketing heroes on the field.

I don't quite remember how he made his debut for India. But in my initial years of watching cricket, I wasn't quite fond of him. His slow defensive style of batting was never exciting to see after the dismissal of the great Sachin in 1990s. But as the years went by and he improved his technique and I as a cricket fan learned that Cricket was more than just hitting 4s and 6s and what kind of joy watching a Test match can bring, I began to admire Dravid more and more.

Test cricket has always been his forte, but the way he improvised in One Day cricket (and recently in T20) was just phenomenal. It will remain a big lesson for cricketers that you don't need to be "God of Cricket", all you need is rock solid determination to excel, to earn people's respect.

There are a number of things that I loved in Rahul's batting. His rock solid defensive strokes were breath taking (a puritan will understand), his leaving the swinging and rising balls was a treat to watch, he was as good a hooker and puller of ball as anybody in Indian team, and his classic off-drives were the ones to pay for. But the most important thing in his batting for me was his flawless batting technique and elegance which can be matched by only a few in the world. What he brought to the batting crease was a sense of calm and a belief that at least one end of the batting was secured. And that sense, that belief, I never got even while Sachin was batting.

The tonnes of patience that he had, I believe if I could work with that much patience in my own field, I would be able to achieve virtually anything. He has always been a team man and the one who seldom showed his emotions. 


Dravid's records are incredible and something that any budding cricket would aspire for. But as Dravid himself once said, that if you are a decent enough cricketer you are bound to achieve all that if you play long enough. What makes great cricketers great is not the records they make, but how they play the game. Rahul sledging anyone is out of equation, but such was the respect for him in opposing teams and fans that I seldom saw Rahul getting sledged by anyone. I have stated that I don't have a role model as such, and I may never have one. But for me, he will always be someone to look up to.

When you play under the shadow of someone like Sachin, you are bound to remain under-appreciated. I always felt that his achievements were not as much celebrated as they deserved to be.

Interestingly though, he is a favorite of many a 'girl fans', which is surprising, since you would think that they will fall for some one like Yuvraj or MSD. I guess it shows women look more for stability in life rather than excitement.

He is called "The Wall" of Indian Cricket and I would say, aptly so. And that is why it was heart burning to see him, of all cricketers, getting bowled again and again and again Down Under. Dravid has said that he was going to review his future after the series anyway, so I wish like all other fans, that he could have had his last Hurrah at one of the best places to play cricket.

Pics taken from Flickr Under CC license.


This is not the way he deserved to leave Cricket. But I am glad he left Cricket on his own terms. Good Bye Jammy, without you Cricket will never be the same for me. 

7 comments:

  1. weel its the same thng that i feel for darvid its still raelly very much difficult for me to except his retirement the first test match that i saw was just because darvid was playing in that....because i have the same brand bat that he used to play with WILLS later i came to knw its a cigratte brand....
    he scored 145 with laxam against australia at eden gardens which is as clear in my memories as this holi.
    darvid playing against australia in 2003 at adhelied was the best test innings that i saw live by any batsmen.
    A match winner for sure...
    one thing i m really very much agree with you ravi is that he never got what he deserved not the best team as a captin not the best coach not not the best retirement i belive....it reaaly will be difficult for me now To resist DHONI team that Too without DRAVID....
    I knew one day he has to retire but the way he is treated is really a big insult to indian cricket....
    World Cup-2003 Ganguly's most dependable person as one have to perform with the bat as well as fiel the ball behind the wicket as a keeper n that to when u r a part time keeper....

    Salute to Rahul Dravid...
    @ Ravi yesterday when i recived ur text abt the same.....i was praying to god please dont let this happen now...bt i happend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Srijan, it's always great to get comments on your blog, but when you get comment from someone like you, it's doubly special, since you always comment what you truly think (something I try to do and encourage).

      Yes, there are a number of memories and memorable knocks from him that I deliberately didn't mention to maintain the brevity of the post. But it's great that you mentioned some of those. His marathon knocks where he made each and every run and ball faced count, will always remain in memory.

      Regarding your English, well yes it's not top class, but it's pretty much understandable, but I would say that much like VK, your mistakes have more to do with typing error than grammar :)

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Hmmm.....its fair to say that an technical era of cricket has departed...but still I will watch till sachin plays...

    But about dravid..once in early 2000 he use to be my favorite player....it may be because..it shows some resemblance with my own life..(that time I was also trying to adjust in new environment...and he is truly a gentleman....(unfortunately i am not).....I will miss him for next 2 years or so...I like his 180 runs knock most and his hundred at lords was special...

    The best part about him was he is a simple man with greatness..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, missing for 2 years! Now that's a new thing I am learning from you :D

      May I know, why you are going to miss him for a specific time period only?

      Delete
    2. After 2 years....sachin will retire and then everyone agrees...that he is a player to missed for rest of the life...like bradman...

      U know the biggest disadvantage of cricketers like Rickey ponting, kaliis and dravid....they all born in era which belong to the Sachin tendulkar...and as times grows..only one batsman from an era deserves to be remembered......

      There must be players who has played in DON era(otherwise how could he has played alone)..but to remember them you need to do atleast 5 minutes of googling......thats all...

      Delete
    3. Yeah, that's pretty correct. I agree with u 100% on that! :)

      Delete