September 06, 2011

Reserved Thoughts

So much has been said and acted upon reservation that it seems nothing else is left to be said or done. And yet, every year the same question arises again. I always wanted to say something of my own on this flaming topic. I know, a lot of people might not agree with what I say but what needs to be said, needs to be said.

I am from General Category. Which means I have never "enjoyed" reservation of any kind. And that leads to frustration; when you see other "less capable" students reaching where you want to reach. And in reality it doesn't serve any one, since those who eventually get admission also quickly realize that it they shouldn't have!

It is frustrating to see everyone and their dog enjoying reservation these days. Reservation for SC, ST, OBC categories, reservation for migrants, reservation for minorities of all kind, reservation for girls, reservation for handicapped, state quota, foreign quota, management quota, EWS quota... There are so many kinds of horizontal and vertical reservation that I believe General category students should also get a special reservation of their own! Don't get me wrong, I fully support some of these reservations. And had I been getting benefits of reservation somewhere, who knows I might have been supporting all kinds of reservations!

Having said that, I think if reservation has been granted after all, then it is idiotic not to take it. I see scores of seats go empty every year in college since there are no eligible students in the reserved category for them. I see women travel standing in the buses because some lazy ass men have occupied their reserved seats, and they are too chicken to ask for their own right.

Reservation in a way has been good for me too. Some of my bestest friends come from reserved category whom I might have not met if they weren't from their respective categories. Of course, counter arguments can be given that one is bound to find good friends wherever one goes, but as I look back, I am not ready to trade them with any one else.

I think reservation per se is not the main problem. For me the lack of sufficient resources is. Even if you abolish reservation fully, the cut throat competition will still exist. So until and unless we can generate enough resources the headache is not going anywhere. Think about it, if 120 students are sitting in an exam for 100 seats, do they really need reservation?

India's really crowded!
Tell me who among them needs/deserve reservation and who doesn't.
And the biggest malaise for reservation is not the reservation itself. It's the ill thoughts attached with reservation. Personally for me, caste is nothing to be talked about (just like religion). But, reserved category students are still thought of as "lower caste". Casteism is still strongly prevalent in educational structure (which is ironic, since main aim of education is to free us of this third world thinking). People instead of working hard to grab the opportunities are doing everything in their power to either get or stop reservation, which brings further hatred towards each other.

I think to an extent reservation is still needed. And in some cases (PH) it will always be needed. But it's important to not take it for granted. People who need reservation must be given, but it should also be taken promptly from those who don't need them any more without caring for vote bank/protest. Children need to be taught of value of hard-work rather than short-cut. "Quota to hai hi!" thinking must go, for good!

So, what's your own thinking about Reservation? Please let me know in the comment section. (please keep your reservation status away while giving your views!).

7 comments:

  1. Hii Ravs

    It’s really nice to read your post on such common topic like Reservation, (I too have written a satire on it when we were at School).It seems like you are experimenting with common topics (since you choose to write on topics which need higher intellectual and observational powers and leave common topics for common people).

    It’s a work of high literary values crafted on a perfect word selection. It’s so cleverly written that till last you have kept your views completely reserved about the topic reservation. That’s a beauty. A glittering and suitable word selection is adding charm to it.
    But, But,But topic like reservation should be debated and discussed with open view rather than with a politically correct or diplomatic thought (diplomacy should be left to politicians). In my views such smart articles will certainly not reflecting the core of a very big social issue “Reservation”.(its same like saying since bringing an strong lokpal bill will not end corruption so demand for it is unnecessary). I found so many statements in your article are contradicting each other and vice-versa.
    If you ask me I can clear myself in just one line, that I am completely against any kind of reservation at secondary and territory level (financial scholarships are other thing).Though I highly support that hard work should be done at primary level and privilege can be given(financial and facilitative) to bring all levels at one platform. Actually reservation is the biggest social event and threat to the country as it not only divides society but also heart of people and fills it with hate. So I never ever support any short of reservation at secondary and territorial level in any given circumstances.

    So I hope to hear some Cristal Clear views over the issue from you other than smart and politically correct views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting after such a long time VK :)

    Well I don't know what you mean by common topics? I just try to write on something that I feel is connected to me directly or indirectly. Yes, I have refrained from writing on political matters but now I am starting to do so too!

    I remember your satire @ school quite vividly :) Those were the times I was just starting to get to know that such things even exist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did u find some of my statements contradictory? Well that's not new I myself sometimes feel so :D

    Regarding the high literary content, I don't know about that. But yes I have chosen my words carefully. It's a sensitive topic and I didn't want to be brash about it. May be that's why it gives an impression of being politically correct. I am anyway a moderate, so I rarely say anything extreme!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And regarding crystal clear views, well let me summarize the post:

    1. I do Not like reservation, but I am not sure if it's because I myself don't have any.

    2. I do know that reservation is still needed in some sections of the society, so it can't be abolished completely.

    3. There should be a strict policy of who gets the reservation and for how long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure you must have read my views on reservation on XP's post so I think there is no need to write'em again because that will be redundant for me and you too...actually honestly talking this topic do not interests me anymore, may be I feel overdosed with it, thats why I was feeling a little lazy about reading this post of yours, but then you wrote 2 more posts back to back after this one and they seem quite interesting to me, but I cant read them before this one because..you know..that doesnt feel right :P

    Anyways about this post. I like how honestly you have articulated yourself, and may be that honesty has made few of the statements contradictory, as VK pointed out, but thats pretty much justified because as you wrote in one of your posts one of your objectives of blogging is to clear your own thoughts (which was my favorite point ;)

    ReplyDelete